80 - Communications Associate - Gaza
|Application Type :
|Job ID/Title :
||80 - Communications Associate|
|Post Level :
|Application Deadline :
|Duty Station :
|Type of Contract :
|| Service Contract|
|Post Number :
(for 100 Series Contracts)
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :
||One year renewable|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :
The Communications Associate will report on daily basis to the Head of UNDP/PAPP Gaza Office and to the Communications Officer in Jerusalem when needed. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Gaza Office, the Communications Associate will assist in the promotion of UNDP/PAPP’s activities particularly in the Gaza Strip through local and international media, publications, and the internet. The Communications Associate will administer key elements and implements UNDP’s Communications and Advocacy strategies, utilizing multi-media including internet, electronic, print media.
|Description of Responsibilities:|
1 - Supports the overall communications strategy of PAPP’s programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Proposals and implementation of activities, initiatives, and programmes to promote public awareness of, and access to, UNDP information and Publicity materials. Effectively liaises with Government, donors, local media, NGO’s, Civil Society, and other partners to this end, in cooperation with the Communications unit.
· Provide information on regular basis to the communications unit in order facilitate the updating of the corporate UNDP/PAPP website and intranet.
· Development and maintenance of adequate network of national media contacts, communications contacts within UNDP/UN, and international media partners
· Development with communications officers from other UN Agencies functioning in Gaza the needed support to joint UN System media events (UN Advocacy Group).
- Monitor the process of preparing development and economic updates and reports on the Gaza Strip and ensure the quality of such publications.
2 - Provides technical support and guidance to the Gaza Office Programme Teams on communications matters focusing on achievement the following results:
· Provision of technical advice to Gaza Office of advocacy and communication activities for the PAPP Programme, in line with the communications strategy. Compilation, monitoring, and implementation of agreed areas of communication and advocacy work plans
- Analysis of background information, communication and other promotion and advocacy materials for use by the local media. Drafting, translating, editing of articles, press releases, as well as programme communication messages and materials, in coordination with the Communications unit.
3 - Supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of appropriate UNDP projects and arrangement/documentation of field visits for media teams, donors and other special interest groups, in liaison with the Programming Units.
4 - Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the PAPP programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Assist in the planning and implementation of training activities that involve media outreach.
· Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
· Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme goals and activities.
q Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
q Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
q Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
q Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
q Shares knowledge and experience
q In-depth knowledge of development issues
q Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
q Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
q Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills
q Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve problems
q Ability to supervise and train support staff
q Demonstrates excellent presentation skill
q Uses Information Technology effectively as a tool and resource
q Excellent writing skills in both Arabic and English
q Excellent translation skills (writing and simultaneous) in both Arabic and English
Leadership and Self-Management
q Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
q Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
q Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Education: University Degree in Communications, Media, or a relevant field from a recognized local or foreign academic institution.
Experience: 5 years of progressive professional experience in the field of communications, public relations and in providing communication packages to promote the activities of international development organization. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements and Others: Fluency in Arabic and English
Resident of the Gaza Strip, with possibilities to move between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank