946 - UNSCO Planning and Programming Officer (Area C) - Ramallah
|Application Type :
|Job ID/Title :
||946 - UNSCO Planning and Programming Officer (Area C)|
|Post Level :
|Application Deadline :
|Duty Station :
|Type of Contract :
|Post Number :
(for 100 Series Contracts)
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :
||One year |
|Expected Duration of Assignment :
Now, as never before, the UN is working as one, with functioning coordination architecture and a growing complementarity between its humanitarian, developmental and political objectives. The UNSCO Coordination Unit plays a central role in this process, working, on behalf of the UN system, with the Palestinian Authority, the Government of Israel and key donors to ensure coordination of all actors.
The UN system in the oPt (comprised of twenty two resident entities), has highlighted East Jerusalem, Area C and Gaza as priority areas for both humanitarian and development interventions. In 2016 the UNCT also focused on Hebron as an area for coordinated humanitarian and development response.
|Description of Responsibilities:|
Under the direct supervision of the Coordination Officer, with a second reporting line to the Chief, Coordination Unit the incumbent will perform the following functions:
1. Ensure effective support to the Coordination Unit in the planning and design of UNCT strategies, programmes and interventions in Area C and other Governorates in the West Bank as relevant:
• In consultation with Coordination Officers, support the development of specific proposals, concept notes and project documents for consideration and use by the Chief of Coordination, Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team.
• Carry out preliminary research to determine humanitarian and development needs and priorities in targeted geographical areas.
• Support the development of advice to the Resident Coordinator and UN Country Team on opportunities for the development of joint initiatives in these areas.
• Identify actors with suitable resources and capacity to implement programmes and projects.
• Support the development of resource mobilization strategies and fundraising missions by the Chief of Coordination and the Resident Coordinator.
• Support the preparation of talking points, briefing notes, background materials and correspondence, as needed.
2. Ensure support coordination with relevant actors and stakeholders operating in Area C and other Governorates in the West Bank as appropriate.
• Cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with UN Country Team colleagues, government representatives, donors, civil society, media, and other relevant partners.
• Keep abreast of UN, donor and government proposals, programmes and initiatives in these targeted areas.
• Facilitate sharing of information related to ongoing and planned UN programmes and interventions with relevant actors and stakeholders where appropriate.
• Monitor and report on relevant developments in the targeted areas to Coordination colleagues, the Chief of the Coordination Unit and the Resident Coordinator.
• Support and maintain mapping of ongoing development projects in Area C.
• Support the organization of field visits for the Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator.
• Perform additional duties as needed.
3. Support UNSCO communication function (30% of total time).
• Support the preparation of talking points, briefing notes, background materials and correspondence, presentations, as needed.
• Provide inputs to reports, as requested.
Impact of Results
Improved coordination and collaboration with the full range of external actors, including, inter alia, the Palestinian Authority, the Government of Israel and key donors.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office
- In-depth knowledge on development issues
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to lead implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Master’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, International Relations, Planning or any related field.
At least 2 years of relevant experience in social development issues, programme and development, international aid coordination or any other relevant area, preferably in the Middle East.
Fluent English with excellent drafting abilities, fluent Arabic.