942 - UN WOmen Programme Associate - Jerusalem
|Application Type :
|Job ID/Title :
||942 - UN WOmen Programme Associate|
|Post Level :
|Application Deadline :
|Duty Station :
|Type of Contract :
|| Service Contract|
|Post Number :
(for 100 Series Contracts)
|Languages Required :
|Starting Date :|
(date when the selected canditate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract :
||until end of December 2017|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :
|The UN Women (UNW), grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors. UN Women plays an innovative and catalytic role in the State of Palestine since its inception in 1997 as UNIFEM. UN Women focuses its activities on one overarching goal, namely to support the implementation at the national level of existing international commitments to advance gender equality in line with the national priorities. In support of this goal and thoroughly taking into consideration the specificities of the context in Palestine, UN Women concentrates its efforts and interventions toward the realization of five strategic goals: Engendering governance, peace and security; Supporting women's economic security and rights; and Promoting women’s rights and protection against violence. In alignment with UN Women’s development result framework Impact Area 4 “Women’s leadership in peace, security and humanitarian response”, UN Women in Palestine works to enhance Palestinian women’s transformative leadership to participate in decision-making processes in all walks of life, and to support the incorporation of a women’s rights agenda in legal, regulatory and institutional frameworks. It also aims to foster women’s participation and leadership in conflict resolution and state building processes on the basis of UNSCR 1325, actively supporting their increased engagement with decision-makers so as to increasing their influence locally and internationally. To these ends, UN Women in Palestine has identified the area of Women’s Political Empowerment (WPE) as a major strategic objective and is based on women’s demand for equal political participation which is deeply rooted in the Palestinian Declaration of Independence of 1988, the Basic Law of the State of Palestine, the Palestinian Women's Bill of Rights of 2008, international conventions, particularly CEDAW, and Security Council Resolution 1325 which addresses the impact of conflict on women. These are aligned with UN Women’s development result framework Impact Area 1 “Women Lead and Participate in Decision Making at all Levels”. In this framework, UN Women Palestine country office would like to recruit a qualified Programme Associate to support the advancement of a Women, Peace and Security Agenda in the State of Palestine within the framework of UNSCR 1325 and subsequent resolutions, which is aligned with impact areas of UN Women’s work, including the political leadership and participation, peace and security, women economic empowerment, and enhancing national commitments on GEWE.|
|Description of Responsibilities:|
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Special Representative and the direct supervision of the Women, Peace and Security Programme Manager, UN Women wishes to bring on board a Programme Associate, who will undertake the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Provides effective support to management of the programmes; focusing on the achievement of the following actions:
• Support the efficient and timely implementation of the programmes activities;
• Assist in the development of programmes workplans (including procurement and financial plans) and provide support for monitoring projects’ budget in terms of expenditures according to the work plan;
• Establish and maintain the projects’ follow-up system for actions and deadlines;
• Support to coordination efforts with programmes partners and ensuring flow of information with women’s organizations, government organizations, donors and local NGO’s; arranging for meetings with stakeholders and draft minutes of meetings as requested;
• Prepare and draft ToRs, contracts and agreements and MoUs for programmes partners and consultants and follow up submission of progress reports and agreed deliverables;
• Support in drafting progress reports, inception reports, donor reports, briefings, success stories and press releases, as requested;
• Draft formal correspondence, in both Arabic and English, as needed;
• Translation of documents (Arabic/English) when requested
• Arrange and coordinate appointments and meetings as well as field mission plans for in-coming and outgoing official missions;
• Organize workshops, activities and events related to the programme interventions, as needed;
• Provide support to the Programmes’ Monitoring and Evaluation Actions through organizing meetings/workshops with relevant stakeholders;
• Review and collection of information on recent reports on Palestinian women and other related issues released from different UN agencies and partners;
2. Support to Financial Resources Management
• Support the programme manager in the financial management of programme interventions;
• Perform regular spot check visits to partners to verify financial documents;
• Ensure timely and quality liquidation of funds and
• Support in the creation of project budgets in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, operational and financial closure of ATLAS projects;
• Support in the preparation of required documents for financial audits for UN Women and partners;
• Create e-requisitions in Atlas and register of goods receipt in ATLAS.
3. Provides programmatic support focusing on achievement of the following actions
• Support the Programme Manager in the formulation of programmes strategies;
• Support the collection, analysis and presentation of information for identification of areas for support, policy and programmes formulation/implementation;
• Supports in providing inputs for enhancing linkages between the programme interventions and UN Women’s Strategic Note and Annual Work Plans;
• Supports in providing inputs and information for evidence-based advocacy;
4. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following actions:
• Participation in workshops and trainings as requested by the Programme Manager;
• Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
• Keeping up to date with the latest advancement in the field of information and knowledge sharing.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
• Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
• Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
• Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
• Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
• Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
• Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
• Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
• Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
• Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
• Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
• Build strong relationships with partners, focusing on impact and results for the partners and responds positively to feedback
• Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
• Good knowledge of Results Based Management
• Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
• Good organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to perform a wide range of varied, inter-related administrative services
• Ability to interpret and analyze data and resolve operational problems, propose solutions
• Ability to work with minimum supervision, and to plan and organize work
• Ability to focus on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
• Bachelor degree in Social Sciences, Business Administration, Finance/Accounting, or other related fields.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience working in finance, accounting, project financial management, planning and coordination;
• Previous Technical expertise in the area of women peace and security and political participation is an asset.
• Proven computer skills;
• Very good organizational skills;
• Previous experience in the UN system or international organizations is considered an asset;
• Previous coordination experience in Civil Society and Government Institutions is an asset
• Very good communication and writing skills and fluency in English and Arabic (comprehension, written and spoken).